A no-deal Brexit will mean that you will need a physical document, known as a Green Card, to drive in most European countries in the future.

What do you need to do now?
If you are not planning on driving in the EU in the near future, there is nothing to do. However, if you are outside of the UK on (or around) 31st October, you will need to call us as soon as possible before your departure to ensure you receive a Green Card.

If Britain leaves the EU without a deal in place, it will be a legal requirement to carry a Green Card if driving in any EU country or Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra.

What is a green card?
The Green Card has information about your vehicle such as its licence plate number and demonstrates that you have the necessary minimum motor insurance cover in place to be on the road. Drivers have to physically carry the Green Card (printed on green paper) with them.

A separate Green Card will be required for all trailers, but please be aware that all commercial trailers of 750kg or over and any trailer of 3500kg or over, must be individually registered if being used outside of the UK. Please let us know the details of all trailers being used outside the UK.

What happens if Britain leaves the EU with a withdrawal agreement?
If Britain secures a withdrawal agreement before Brexit, you can drive in the EU as you would normally. We acknowledge that this is a developing situation, so we will be providing updated information on Brexit via our website or you can always call us for an immediate update.

How do you get a Green Card?
Contact us on 01202 642840 and we will either contact your Insurer to arrange for a Green Card to be sent or in some cases, depending on the Insurer, we may be able to produce one ourselves.